Sunday, July 13, 2008

No Music No Life 04/2008

itunes: Jason Mraz, We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things (2008)

Looks like I have a lot to catch up with my updates.
The list of CDs that I purchased in the month of April:


Madonna, Hard Candy (2008)
At last, the wait is over, soon the playing of the CD is over too. Seriously speaking, I asked myself if I have too high expectations of Madonna of re-inventing herself whenever a new album is out. First of all, I must say that this is a departure from her amazing Confession On The Dancefloor, which fits into the old saying that no 2 Madonna albums are the same. However, what puzzled me is it seems Hard Candy is built on the sounds of Timbaland and Pharrell Williams, so much so it resembles the sounds in Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake's recent albums (which are produced by Timbaland too). Is Madonna running out of music ideas or is she merely fulfilling her last album commitments with Warner? Although it is not as bland as the American Life, Hard Candy demonstrated the weariness of Madonna's music ambition and it remained as one of the Madonna's lifeless album.


Deluxe Limited Edition


Standard Edition

Mariah Carey, E=MC2 (2008)
In comparison to her previous hit The Emancipation Of Mimi, I would prefer Mimi to this despite Mariah did tone down her vocal gymnastics in her singing and more hip hop influenced. That's why Charmbracelet irritate me a lot with the usage of her vocal gymnastics to the max. In fact, as a long time fan, I'm glad to see her progress in the realm of music, moving out of the comfort zone of the things she has been doing. After all, nothing beats her Butterfly album, which remains as her most edgiest production to date. Nevertheless, from this album, one can still find a couple of surprises, like track "Migrate" and "For The Record"


Chara, Union (2007)
After the 2 best albums that I have bought last year, I have found her 2007 release on ebay, still cheaper than buying full price on the net, just US$9.99! She is one of the Japanese singer songwriter that comes with wild earthy look and yet distinctive voice like the soft whimpering of a child. Making music that is innocent and mature, clean and dirty. Sounds contrasting and that's what I like about her sounds.


宇多田ヒカル, Heart Station (2008)
I have been a fan of this young singer songwriter and producer since her debut in 1999 at the age of 16. I think I let her credentials do the recommendations: Utada's first official Japanese album First Love became the best-selling album of all time in Japan with over 7.65 million copies sold to date in Japan alone (10.056 million worldwide to date). Her next 3 Japanese albums being rank in the Top 10 all-time best-selling albums in Japan ranking (#1, #4, #8). She has 2 No.1 singles from her English album Exodus (2004) on US Billboard's Dance Chart. In 2007, her single "Flavor Of Life" reached #2 in worldwide digital download single sales with over 7.2 million downloads (the only non-American artist to hold such a distinction), and she sold a total of 12 million digital ringtones and songs in that same year, making her the first artist ever to have this many digital sales in a year's time.


上戸彩, Best Of Ueto Aya Single Collection (2006)
Seriously, I bought the CD mainly because she is cute, that's all. There is nothing to comment on her forgettable dancey tracks. Well, men are visual creatures isnt it? So that should justify everything. Haha


小林幸子,小林幸子全曲集 恋桜 (2007)
I must say I buy this CD not out of a cute cover (that's for sure). As much as I'm superficial at times, I'm deep within as well. Yes, I'm interested in Japanese Enka as well and this gorious lady here is one of the prominent veteran in the Enka world, at least 40 years in business. How can I possibly NOT buying her CD right?


王若琳, Start From Here (2008)
This singer songwriter is promoted to be the Norah Jones of Taiwan. This debut album comes in 2 discs, in English and Mandarin respectively. Most of the songs are composed by her. She did a cover of Billy Joel's New York State Of Mind. It's a good to hear the female version of this good song. This album is good for late night listening.......


方大同, 未来 (2007)
Soul boy singer songwriter from Hong Kong. Bought his 3rd album for the first time last month, this month I picked up his latest 4th album. The enchantment continues....


黃建為, Over The Way (2006)
This is a undiscovered gem. An indie folk singer songwriter from Taiwan, who surprises with his winning of best new artist in the Taiwan's Grammy equivalent music awards last year. It's good to listen something that is so acoustic and earthy such that the sounds are generated from the woods. However, as raw as the sounds can be, his so-so vocal blends in well as a whole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home