Sunday, March 30, 2008

No Music No Life 03/2008

itunes: 19, Adele (2008)

April 2008 is the month I can look forward to. Madonna (Hard Candy) and Mariah Carey (E=MC2) are releasing new album on 28 Apr and 15 Apr respectively.

The list of CDs that I have bought in Mar 08:


Life In Mono, Emma Bunton (2006)
This album was not released in Singapore. I wanted to get a copy and yet do not want to pay full price at Amazon.com. After months of hunting, I managed to get a used special edition on ebay at a price of GPB3.70, good deal! hehe. This album is simply the continuation of her previous album, Free Me, a nostalgic direction of swinging 60s and bossa nova. It comes with 2 remake of Mono's Life In Mono and Dusty Springfield's Downtown. Nevertheless, I still prefer the previous one.


19, Adele (2008)
I can remember very vividly the very first time how her voice touching me to the core while I was on the treadmill in the gym, watching MTV. The song Chasing Pavement is indeed a lush power ballad, sweeping off my feet, an anthem to me until this album released in Singapore. She is even a more exciting new artist than when Lily Ellen thrilled me during her debut. This album is simply an accomplished work, particularly the rich soulful smoky world-weary voice from this young (19 years old) singer songwriter and her amazing mature song writing skills. Best new artist of 2008!


Discipline, Janet Jackson (2008)
Finally, she is back with something listenable before I started to write her off. Something that is less dull than Damita Jo, more exciting that 20 Y.O. Well, at least she is not far off from the level where her classic Velvet Rope left since. Nevertheless, it's a good beginning for Janet to break new music grounds under her new label. I will hope for her next best thing.


The Best Of, The Cardigans (2008)
I dun consider myself a fan of The Cardigans even though I love their early hits and the 2 recent albums, Long Gone Before Daynight and Super Extra Gravity. This would simply make me a step closer to being their fan with a good collection of their hits and side B rarities.


Yaiko's Selection, 矢井田瞳 (2004)
Yaida Hitomi is a female Japanese folk rock singer/songwriter and guitarist. This album contains her favourite tracks, a follow up album of Single Collection released 3 months earlier. I bought her Single Collection and was amazed by her rock and powerful vocal. Cool chick!


I Love A Piano, 今井美樹 (2008)
A new release from the most perfect woman in Japan. I Love A Piano is an EP release in which Miki works with seven different pianist to remake some of her old hits. I would not say this EP is refreshing but it does make one feel these old hits differently.


鴿子, 楊宗緯 (2008)
This Taiwanese pop newcomer has a tough long road to stardom. Aska started appearing out of nowhere cameo on some TV talkshows, until one fateful show in which a tv producer suggested live on air that he should focus on his good voice if he wanted a good career in the entertainment business. However, tv critics condemned him of his plain and country pumpkin appearance. He went on to participate a 'American Idol' like of singing competition and went all the way to the final 6 but was booted out because he lied about his age at the time of entry. Despite of that, by then he has already earned millions of fans with his strong and influencing vocals. Well, I'm one of the million fans who see him from rags to riches.


愛 愛 愛, 方大同 (2007)
This is the second album of soul HK singer/songwriter, Khalil Fong. I didnt notice him until this album, his voice is so soulful, so much so the soulfulness is naturally in him. Seriously I'm impressed with his delivery. His appearance has made many so called R&B Asian artists poseur. Check him out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home