Saturday, March 08, 2008

No Country For Old Men

itunes: Erykah Badu, New Amerykah: Part One (4th World War) (2008)



I walked out of the cinema, feeling a great sense of anger and annoyance which I do not know why I felt it this way. Is it because it was not my preferred movie genre and I wasted my time watching it or is it because there was no justice done at the end of the story? Halfway thru the show, I asked myself why am I feeling so super-tense, so breathless enough to make me puke even though the pace of the show is slow. It has been nearly 2 weeks and why the 2 coin toss scenes still flashbacking?

Now I understand.

This movie is unique in a certain way. Though it's a simple cat-and-mouse-chase plot, I dun see the fast-pack actions but rather a steady frame-to-frame movement of tranquity. The audio and visual is almost minimalistic, a fixed set of plain colours throughout, and the soundtrack is hardly existed. Such superficial, I would consider it as boredom. Yet, what I didnt realise was as the plot develops, I was subconciously immersed into the vicious undercurrent, feeling lost and helpless as the darkness intensified. It may sound philosophical and inspiring ironically, this movie shows how vulnerable human beings can be when faces his destiny, particular death which is inevitable. The psychopathic killer Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem) is no less a spine-chilling soul snatcher, who take centrestage and the biggest winner in this movie. I feel sick, while my brain tries to reconcile what my eyes see, my conscience and my adrenaline secretion.

No Country For Old Men is flawed even it remains as one of best picture of the year. Its brilliance and lasting impact leave me haunted.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home