Thursday, January 24, 2008

Hong Kong....at a different perspective 2

itunes: Heatwave, The Best of Heatwave (1993)

This place is the main highlight of this trip. Many are amazed when I told them that I'm actually go hiking in Hong Kong instead of shopping like most people do. Well, I'm sick of life in the congested concrete jungle, sick of emails, phone ringing and endless data overloading. Getting away in the wild I do not have to worry about emails and no one will be able to get me on my mobile. It's truly a 100% escapade. No phone ringing tones, just leaves rustling sound by the gentle breeze, my own breathing and my heart pounding sound. It's really good to listen to one's inner voice once in a while. At least, I feel that I'm real and alive rather a working robot. That's why whenever I'm on a vacation, I would usually avoid cities.

Hike: Sai Kung East Country Park 西贡东郊野公园, 20 Jan 2008


This is 13km hiking route is called MacLehose Trail. We took a near 5 hours to complete it (from right to left on the map). It's the steep slopes of the mountain ranges which are the killers.




The High Island Reservoir 万宜水库


The path taken that leads from the High Island Reservoir.


Went thru the valley, Chui Tung Au 吹筒坳.....




This is Sai Wan 西湾.


The solitude dead crab


Moving on, turn back and a final glimpse of the view of Sai Wan Beach. That's the hill that we come by before reaching Sai Wan Beach.


The Sai Wan Bay view at a higher altitude.




It was adrenaline draining when trekked on the path by the side of the cliff.


The view of Tai Long Wan 大浪湾 from the cliff.
The highest peak is Sharp Peak 蚺蛇尖, height of 468m, the highest in this country park.


Close up shot of Sharp Peak




Tai Long Wan 大浪湾, 1.30pm our first stop to rest after 2 hours of hiking.




After the rest, scale upwards in Ham Tin 咸田 region, the backward glance of Tai Long Bay.


At last, we have reached Tai Long Au 大浪坳, the closest place on the MacLehose Trail to Sharp Peak. This slope will lead one to Nam She Au 蚺蛇坳 and eventually the Sharp Peak. However, authorities has cautioned trekkers to stay away due to the steep slopes.


The surrounding view of Tai Long Au.


The closer view of Sharp Peak from Tai Long Au. Thereafter, it's time go down the valley....


By the time this picture was taken, I was exhausted and have no idea how long and how far I have walked, still going down on the valley towards Chek Keng 赤徑, the Sharp Peak appears further and smaller.


The beautiful Chek Keng 赤徑...




The abandoned village at Chek Keng 赤徑

Well, that's all for the highlights of this trek. On the final portion from Chek Keng to Pak Tam Au 北潭凹 our destination, I'm completely exhausted, frustrated and lost track of time. The only thought was to reach the ending point as soon as I can. The walking stick is no longer helpful to my hurting knees. Eventually we reached the ending point by 5pm, thereafter took a cab back to the civilisation and enjoyed a sumptuous seafood dinner at Sai Kung town.

It's really a good experience I would say, given the fact that I have never hiked for such a long distance over hilly terrains. Till next time....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home