Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Gift Exchange Woes

itunes: Dave Koz, A Smooth Christmas (2001)



Not again, I've received 2 towels and a stuff toy from the Christmas gift exchange this year. But every year I wonder why this pointless custom persists. Yes, I do have issues with these mandatory communal gift exchange in office or friends' get-together Christmas function.

It's not that I'm against gift giving. The intention of which when one appreciates another it would be nice to show one’s appreciation with a gift. It's done out of one’s own kindness and usually comes as a surprise. That’s the beauty about buying and giving a gift especially for someone, it makes one feel appreciated. That's the spirit of Christmas.

That bring us back to the communal gift exchange. I'm calling it to be abolished because first of all, the idea of getting a good Christmas gift for loved ones is tough enough, let alone getting it for an unidentified sex and person. The most frustrating thing is the gift exchange usually comes with a small budget and it's a chore to get something that is useful or meaningful for both sexes.

Then the hour of terror arrives: the unwrapping of the gifts. It tortures me to open a gift that is pretty much useless to me and act as if it's the best gift ever in front of cordially everyone. But it's not over yet, look around, you will find now everyone in the room has to pretend to look pleased that they have gotten the greatest gift in the world. Put it this way, how can one be pleased and excited when I can actually predict what lies beneath those wrappings every year? If I can rejoice with not-much-used, not-intented-for-me kind of things like drinking mug, photo frame, confectionery, photo album, stuff toy, small desktop decor, towel, stationery and toiletries gift set; received in a yearly musical chair fashion, then I must be 101% spastic. Eventually these items will either ended up deep in the drawers or else in the bins. Really waste of money and resources.

Often I wonder, why cant one just say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to one another, if one has no intention to give a gift to that particular person? No stress about insincere gifts which one doesn't need. Truthfully, I don't need anything. If I want something, I'll buy it myself. If you want to give me something, give me cash. That's the only thing I really need. Haha :OP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home