Saturday, June 16, 2007

Confession of Self-Inflict Poseur

itunes: Sarah McLachlan, Rarities, B-Sides, And Other Stuff (1996)


I have decided to give Mattew Barney's Drawing Restraint No.9 showing at National Museum tonight a miss, even though I have reserved the tickets in advance a month ago. I anticipated the movie eagerly and the soundtrack by Bjork is pretty cool. It was until I read the bad reviews (well, I'm not impressed/convinced by the good reviews too). One of the worst critics that I have read: it will be a hard time to figure out the perplexing plot.

Excerpts from the film: A Japanese woman delicately wraps a series of relics into beautiful packages. Bjork waits for the boat. Mattew Barney waits for a boat. They board a ship. Bjork takes a bath with some oranges. Barney gets a bad shave. They ended up in very elaborate dresses. They have green tea. They end up falling in love and licking each other. They cut up each other's legs. They turn into whales. The end. There is not even a single dialogue except the green tea session.

Errrrmmmmmm......sounds interesting though, but my heart really turned cold. If it's laborous to understand something like a pair of human lovers turned into whales, perhaps personally I'm not up to this league yet. However, if there are more favourable conditions present, I would not mind spending 2 hours of my life to appreciate this piece of arty 'moving photographs'. I had a long day today, too tired to go thru another round of mental exhaustion and mind boggling. The show is at 9pm and the ordeal is 135mins, definitely past my bedtime. What if I fell asleep during the show or halfway thru I decide to walk out of it? That will be embarrassing and disrespecting to the director. Undeniably it's risks to music-nazi's reputed well being hehe. To be fair, I'm music-nazi, not cinema or arty-nazi.......

Fine fine, I admit......i'm fucking deep poseur this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home