Friday, May 25, 2007

No Music No Life 05/2007

itunes: Bjork, Volta (2007)

BLAST, BLAST, BLAST, my CD budget for this month busted!!!
The list of CDs that I have bought in May 2007:


Bjork, Volta (2007)
Normal Edition


Bjork, Volta (2007)
Limited Edition
Release of the month. That's all I can say. She never failed to impress and surpise her fans even after the 2 experimental Medulla and Drawing Restraint 9. In Volta, she has returned to shouts and volume that we fans find a sense of comfort belonging and recognition. This is truly Bjork! I bought the 2 versions, the normal edition for listening and the sealed limited edition for collection, like I usually did for all her previous releases. The most amazing thing is a friend who hates her all these years, bought this album willingly after sampling it. That's great is not it?


Tori Amos, American Doll Posse (2007)
I used to love her like I love Bjork. However, listening to her last 2 albums is really exhausting. It's not because Tori has failed as a singer songwriter, I was thinking if she has moved on to a realm that I can hardly connect with or am I losing patience at these over 20-tracks albums? That explain why I have not listened to this after buying it a week ago.


Thievery Corporation, The Cosmic Game (2005)
I bought this because of the sale at HMV. Until just now I realised it was a Taiwanese pressed CD, damn really got ripped off. An EU pressed version usually cost a third more. I thought I got the best deal for the EU pressed, sigh. Nevertheless, this completes the discography of my favourite electronica duo.


Various Artists, Motown Remixed (2005)
This CD was selling at 50% at Borders and I bought it out of curiousity on how Motown old hits can be transformed into remix versions. Sounds chilled out, groovy and contemporary yet retain the good essence of the oldies, especially Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On.


黃大煒, Passion (2007)
This is my favourite chinese rocker. He has been in the scene for more than 15 years, produced acclaimed but never hit albums, quite a pity. His love ballads have never failed to enchant me with a sense of tranquility in the midst of his raw deep vocal and emotional delivery. I just love him.


雷光夏, 黑暗之光 (2007)
This indie female folk vocalist used to do soundtrack production as a full time job before turning into full time artist. Hence her folky albums always have cinematic feel and in additional to her poem-like lyrics, it's truly a different treat in enjoying folk music.


松田聖子, Eternal II (2006)
If it's not because Seiko has been my favourite Japanese idol since the 80s, I would not have bought this album from ebay. This is the follow up remake album to Eternal which was released in 1991. As much as she speaks with an American slang, somehow she sounded weird when she remake old hits like How Deep Is Your Love and Time After Time.....


Kahimi Karie, Kahimi Karie (1998)
This is the album that have been on my wantlist for years, until I spotted it on ebay at a very cheap price. The debut album of this Japanese singer based in Paris, is a solid mix of her wispy little-girl vocal with Shibuya-Kei and Bossa Nova genre, delivered in both English and French. The good thing is she sounded so much better than her fellow native, Seiko in Eternal II.


大塚愛, 愛 Am Best (2007)
One of the top female singer songwriter in the current Japanese pop scene, able to write and produce her albums. Well, this is her first best of album since she debuted in 2003.


Below is the list of CDs that contributed to the bust of my CD budget this month. A moving out sale of a CD shop put up a 3 CDs for $12 promotion, with such good deals, I would not give it a miss at all haha.



The Cardigans, Super Extra Gravity (2005)
Limited Edition with Bonus DVD
This CD is in my wantlist but I do not want to pay full price for it. So I'm really thrilled to see it on sale, I grabbed and hold it hard in hand the moment I laid my eyes on it. Comparing to their fun hit album, Life in the 90s, this is definitely a more tone down, mature and serious work. I love the track "Losing A Friend" and "I Need Some Fine Wine And You, Need To Be Nicer"


Sarah McLachlan, Remix Album (2005)
The remix album of her so-so Afterglow. Anyway, 3 CDs for $12, who cares right?


Stevie Wonder, Ballad Collection (1999)
Never own a Wonder CD at all. This is the good time to jump start of owning the music of this great artist.


Luis Miguel, Grandes Exitos (2005)
My favourite latino male in the music industry. His Romance and Romances albums are so captivating. This double discs best of compilation, should worth keep for.


Steely Dan, Everything Must Go (2003)
What more to say? It's Steely Dan!!! Really have to thank my ex gym instructor for introducing this jazz funk rock duo to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home