Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Mum and Dad

itunes: Stevie Wonder, Ballad Collection (1999)

My mum had a fall from the ladder last Sunday. It was really my fault, I should have put the pair of shoes on the rack in the storeroom myself. I rushed to the direction where the crushing sound came, and there I saw her sitting on the floor, obviously in pain agony. At that instant, I was in deep shit remorse, why should I let the elderly frail lady do the job despite when she volunteered??!! I really hate myself for taking her for granted, for she always there for me and never fail to answer whenever I need anything. Fortunately, she was able to get up without much assistance, much to my relieve, no broken hips. For the rest of the evening, I was worry-strickened as she cant hardly move her body well, apparenetly still in pain even after my dad help to apply medicated oilments over the affected area. I woke up several times in the night, walked over to her room and see if she was all right, only going back to sleep when I knew she was sleeping soundly. Come to think of it, this is what my mum did when I was a little boy, running temperature the whole night.

In fact, I have not taken a good look of my aging parents all these while until one day when I suddenly realised how much they have grown old nowadays. Subconsciously, I keep having the younger image of them when I was young. I tried to recall when was the last time they nagged at me, the last time my bad-tempered father lost his temper, the last time I was disciplined with a cane, the last time I hug and hold onto them like candy, I simply cant remember at all. They see me through my growing up stages, but now I was so busy with my own life that I didnt even notice, and even neglect that they really have aged so much.

I grew up in a family that were conservative that no affection are openly displayed within the house. I guess my parents believe actions speak louder than words, and I know they love me and my sister dearly. Likewise, there are so many times that I wanted to thank them for the small errands they run for me, but I just cant even bring myself to say, let alone to express how much I love them vocally. Which is why nowadays I prefer to stay at home, even on weekends. Even though I stay in my own room most of the time, I know my parents are glad and contented that their child is keeping them company at home, they would occasionally pop their heads into my room, start some small talks like: wanna a slice of water melon?, urging me to adjust the blinds if the sun is too glaring, what I would like to eat for dinner?.....Sometimes, in the middle of the night, I would pop over to their bedroom on my way to the toilet to see if they are okay and sound asleep. I just want to convince myself that my wild imagination is unfounded. What really bothers me is that I cant help but to worry that they may just gone the next morning one day. Every year as my parents aged, I'm getting more insecure over their wellbeing. I dunno how different my life will be should I lose any one of them.....which I know it's inevitable one day.....

Anyway, the doctor confirmed that mum just suffered from some hip muscles injury, not the fearful bone fructure. Guess what? My mum wakes up at 430am every morning and when my alarm rang at 6am this morning, the whole house was in total darkness and I grew panicky, jumped out of my bed and hurried to my mum's bedroom. What a relief! She was still sound asleep. Ya, rest well and recover fast, mum!

Have you ever ask yourself how much time you have spent with your aging parents? Have you ever notice what they have been doing at home even since they retired? Have you ever take a closer look at them, how much they have aged? Have you ever neglect their pair of mellow loving eyes, looking at you now is exactly the same way as when they coaxed you to sleep when you are little toddler? Ask yourself....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home