Saturday, April 28, 2007

Stability and Security

itunes: 徳永英明, Vocalist 2

It's finally weekend!!
Looking back, it has been smooth sailing the first week into my new job. Despite my new boss dropped the bomb in my first hour on Monday, the mess is not as bad as I expected it to be. For a while I thought I jumped from one shit hole into another. Phew! What a relief!

My priority now is to clean up the mess in the last financial year, set up new procedures and controls and consolidate the reportings. My boss warned me of the noises that will come everyday and he advised me that I should ignore them for the time being, learn and do my work at my own pace. This is really comforting. By the second day, I have been receiving calls and emails, reminding and nagging of the unsolved unsettled issues and problems. I guess these are the 'noises' my boss referred to. Whatever it is, as much as I take pains to clear them, there are some that required a lot of firefighting. Seriously speaking, I do not mind it at all, as long as the problems are not 'fossilised' ones and my bosses giving me the support I need. This is why I find my new job challenging

Another thankful thing is I have a committed account assistant and even the temp staff who takes her own initiative at work. This definitely has made my life and work so much easier. I know there are some unhappiness they have voiced out to me and of cos my role is to support them by smoothen out any barriers they faced (haha that's explained the firefighting on the frontline on my side). Nevertheless, I'm really happy to see such good working relationship developed at the start.

Nothing more to comment about my bosses and colleagues, except hearing some gossips about them from my 2 girls during lunchtime haha. Guess I really need to observe more of the people in my office. I dun mean to brag but I have never feel so motivated at work after all these years, the joy of firefighting to have things done on the right way, meeting and working with people across the group at different level and sites, straightening the wrong procedures and put in the right proper controls. As compared to all my previous jobs, I have never felt an organisation like this, so vibrant and alive that you even feel its heartbeat and breathing. I feel myself there with a vision and a goal to achieve (idealistically) and better perks (realistically) of cos hehe. On the softer side, given in the healthcare industry, it comes with a stronger social responsibilites than most profit-gearing organisations. That's what I like, it's like working hard to generate profits yet with an extra purpose, the role out to serve the community.

Most importantly, for the first time, I feel a sense of eventual settling down in my career, after floating around like a wandering ghost all these years. A job so much so that one just need to concentrate to do their duties well and rest assured that the company will do the rest and take good care of you and your family. There is career path and prospects which I can work towards within the group and I can even start planning for the future.

I guess this what most people called stability and it comes with a sense of security, just like home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home