Saturday, April 21, 2007

Nurse Syringe Attacks

itunes: 徳永英明, Vocalist (2005)

This morning I went for the 3rd appointment at Alexandra Hospital for the 2nd blood sugar level test. I went for the pre-employment medical examination 3 weeks ago and it was found that the sugar level in my urine is slightly higher than average. I was referred to do a fasting blood test but the result was not satisfactory either. This is what I went thru today: The fasting glucose blood test. The procedure is simple. Just blood, concentrated glucose solution and blood.

0845 hrs, after waiting half and hour for my turn, a junior nurse took the first blood sample. The problem is she cant find any protuding blood vessels on my arm so she suggested to do it on my hand instead. Oh gosh, this is going to be painful, I protested. She promised she will use the finest needle. Whatever it is, do I have a choice? I turned my head away as she poked the needle into the skin of my right hand. Ouch, the pain level is slightly high and more acute than doing it on the arm. The tense and the anxiety had me feeling faint and my vision dimming. The nurse was worried to see me so pale and it took me another 15 minutes to recover.



0915 hrs, I drank the most concentrated glucose solution that I have in my entire life. The nurse suggested I should swallow in just 1 gulp but the problem is, the sweetness really hurts my throat. Really tough....yucks.

0915 - 1115 hrs, this is a long 2 hours wait before the next blood sample. I just sit on the couch and wait. In this 2 hours, I'm amazed that I can finish reading today's paper and complete 3/4 of my new April issue of national geographic mag before the same junior nurse ask for me again.

1115 - 1135 hrs, the darkest nightmare of my life starts. My poor left hand....sob sob. As the same procedure, she searched for the right spot on my left hand and apply alcohol on it. I turned my head away as she inserted the needle into my skin. I was too innocent to think it will be over fast. I felt the needle moved forward and back under my skin, I feel the acute pain whenever the needle made the thrust. I tried to relax my tensed up arm and hand, thinking it may relief the pain and discomfort. Well, it does not help at all. This is when I heard the voice of another nurse near me. Yes she is here to help the junior nurse. I can try to avoid seeing the actions taken, but their discussion really freaked me out. Unable to find the blood vessel, they pull the syringe out, insert again and start searching frantically for the blood source. Hello ladies, I need both of you stressed and panicked but do you know how painful are these actions??? I really feel like screaming out to them. Eventually, one of them said, got it. I was relieved and within a short time, the needle was out and I thought the ordeal is over. The bad news is, the nurse told me apologically that the blood stream stopped before they can fill up the syringe. I almost fainted upon hearing that. Hmm but surprisingly I dun look at pale at all, according to the nurse. Yeah, this is when the head nurse came to our rescue upon hearing our commotion. She took a look at my hand and within 1 - 2 minutes, my nightmare is over. What a BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG relief!!!



1135 - 1215 hrs, I went to the canteen to break my fast, had a bite before they called me to see the doctor for result review. The doc is kind enough to tell me that there are good news and bad news. The good news is my previous 2 test results shows that I have been doing well in my diet and hence they are consistent. However, I failed the 2 hour glucose test because the insulin in my body failed to breakdown the concentrated glucose that I have taken before the test. The sugar level in my blood is double of the one I had earlier in the morning. Therefore, he diagnoised me as diabetic.

Now, that's really bad news. I have cut sugar and carbohydates to the minimum these few years and yet I'm not spared of diabetes. I asked the doctor if my pancreas is failing and he reckoned that my condition may have started only recently and there is no need to be alarmed. There is no medication to improve the functionality of the pancreas and all I need to do is to loose some kgs and continue my healthy diet. No medication is required, that's indeed a consolation hehe. He suggested I should go for a more detail check on this concern 3 months later. Yeah, I better go to the private hospital for a second opinion. In the meantime, I continue to do what I need to do. Probably I may start taking chinese medicine to regulate as I know there are some herbs which will strengthen the pancreas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home