Friday, March 23, 2007

D-Day

itunes: 松田聖子, Seaside~Summer Tales~ (1997)

I went down to my new co to sign the appointment letter during lunch time today. At last, I feel settled and secured after days of uncertainty. I'm glad that the HR and my new boss is understanding and patient enough to take time and pains to clear my doubts on this role. I really do appreciate that very much. Well, at least a good start for me and I certainty hope that I can be the best fit to this role. Below is my queries and and their replies:


Hi, I could not answer most of the qns so got XXX to help. Hope you do not mind. Anyway, XXX is very open with his staff so don't worry about him forming any bad impression just because you ask so many qns. Hope you will come sign your letter soon.

1)Given the lean finance structure of this division, what is the relationship between this role and the shared services function of the group? In short, what are the accounting functions that have been outsourced?

The accounting functions that has been outsourced to our HQ Finance are the Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payable.

2)What is the job scope of the assistant to this role? What is the qualification of this assistant?

The assistant has a diploma in LCCI,the purpose of this assistant is to support the incumbent accountant. Currently she is clearing all invoices from vendors and sending verified invoices to shared services for billing.

3)I would like to know more about the job scope, besides what have been disclosed in the advertisement, what other responsibilities and duties are expected of this role? I understand that there is a need to make trips to the satellite sites, what kind of duties are to be performed there?

The job scope of the incumbent is almost like a mini CFO. He advices the GM on new projects based on his financial analysis and core competence in accounting. He ensures that the monthly P/L statements are ready and provides a brief analysis on its variance. It is expected that it will take sometime to understand the nature of the business to enable the incumbent to provide a meaningful analysis. The trips to the satellites is to perform impress checks on the cashiers and to source out any financial irregularities at the front. The incumbent could also look for improvements in the cashiering system. In fact the CFO is one of the important limbs of the GM.

4)The requirements of this role involved advising the management on finance and business strategies as well as financial planning and analysis. I would like to know more about role in this aspect. As mentioned before, I would like to clarify the fact that I do not have sufficient experience in these areas (like business proposals or feasibility studies). Nonetheless, I'm prepared to take up the challenge.

It is good that you acknowledges your area of weakness. This shows your sincerity and openness. The accountant is not required to write business proposals, these are done by our marketing team. However, as a member of senior management, the accountant will be involved in strategic planning meetings and should be able to acquire essential knowledge in skills in the businesses.

5) I would like to know the management style of XXX. I'm concerned with the fact that during our last meetup when he mentioned that the higher the salary the incumbent joined the organisation the more demanding he will be to the person. I'm grateful that you are able to match to my expected salary, however, will this affect the management style of XXX?

My management style is open, frank and honest approach. Knowing that the organisation is only as good as the people in it. Once employed and empowered, I do not micro-management. I believe in flexibility and balancing socials with work. I dislike people who has no integrity. Honesty pays, even if a mistake is made. I was the one who recommended the salary as I think you deserve this amount based on your experience and track record. To me this is not alot neither it is too little. This is a demanding job, like all other jobs in the industry. Those who persevered and are committed to value add will find great satisfaction. Those who just look for money or position but not willing to perform will not make it far in any organisation. My track record has proven that I have groomed several Dy Directors and senior staff in the group and beyond.

6) What is the salary ceiling of the grade of the position offered? $5693



On the way to the new co, I did having second thought of backing out. The environment and prospect of the current office may not be good but I have a group of good supporting assistants and a group of great lunch buddies. Lousy bosses may make your day bad but good colleagues make your day feel better. Nevertheless, I still feel that it's time for me to move on, since the new co offers better career pro$pect$ and new learning opportunities. It was until I saw the benefits listed on the appointment letter, I know I have made the right choice. Imagine having an annual leave of 24 days!! First time in my own life having such entitlements!! Going down the list, I cant help but to agree, by giving good benefits, it really put employees at ease and work better because they know that they have been well taken care of. To avoid suspicion of those busybodies in my office, I have requested the HR to have my appointment letter, staff manual and other documents to be mailed to my home address instead. Smart move right? hehe

I reached my office around 2.30pm and from then until I tendered my resignation at 6.30pm, this few hours were like centuries to me. I dun feel like doing it during office hours and I hate busybody colleagues coming one after another, pretending to show concern and asked why I want to resign. I wanted a good weekend ahead, anything more to say or discuss, why not wait till next Monday?

My boss was shocked to hear of my intention (of cos, it's the second bomb that exploded this week). He totally disagreed with the fact that this is a good time for me to move on since the audit and the major issues were near completion. He insisted that there were still alot of things for me to do. To me, he merely concerned with the unfinished work and nothing else. I told him that I'm not suitable for the shipping industry and he rebuked that the time I spent in this office is not long enough to have such a judgement. I simply told him the third month when I joined, I already knew that I do not like this industry but I'm giving myself more time to access the situation. This is when my boss kept quiet. Hehe then he moved on to the point that he recognised the fact of the messy accounts I have taken over and the pressure of clearing the mess. What pissed me most is he went on to comment that I should be able to take more stress. Well, that's not the point cos stress and pressure are not the reason of my resignation. I just smiled and keep the comments to myself. I just cant believe how petty my boss can be when he turned sour and said well he still need me to help him for the time being (sure sign of sour) and reminded me not to forget to generate the AR aging report for the meeting next Wednesday. This is an insult to my professionalism! As long as I'm still in service to the company, I still put in my best efforts. To end, he told me that he will refer back to the recruitment agency who gotten me this job, he believe that I may have obligations with them since I decided to resign within less than a year. What kind of nonsense is that? Is this a threat or wat? Well, the agency told me then if resign within the probation, they will have to get another candidate for my boss for free, no obligation over my side hehe.

To me, as a good superior, one should give blessings to those who decide to move on and pursue their interests elsewhere and not behave in a petty manner. No one owns you a living unless they are slave to you. This is a free world and everyone has the rights to come and go. There may be some form of disruption but in the real business world, no one is indispensible. I would want to do a good job to complete what I'm suppose to do and hand over to the next person well, with such an undesirable attitude from my boss, is it really worth being professional? That's really need some pondering....as a CPA, I have to be professional, but maybe I will just fulfill 70% of what is required of me. Perhaps, I may have to thank him too, when in face of such an attitude, it really helps me to move on easier without much hesitation.

Finally the worst is over. Before I left the office, I send out the email that I have drafted to my FD in HK, out of courtesy. I have requested my last day to be on 18th April and hopefully have 2 days rest before starting my new challenge on 23rd April. Like I spoke to another good colleague who tendered on Monday this week, let's hope that our remaining days will be smooth and easy. It seems that for those who resigned, my boss somehow written off them. We are the first two and we are pretty sure within our good lunch buddies, there will be more coming.....

As for the uncertain future ahead, I only can hope for and do the best....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home