Saturday, March 31, 2007

D-Day Aftermath - Warm Gentle Wave

itunes: Cocco, ベスト+裏ベスト+未発表曲集 (2001)

My FD finally left for Hong Kong yesterday. I suppose his trip this time has been good for him, most of the big issues have been solved and finalised. I feel contented and glad too, at least for now the accounts are spick and span, thereafter, with proper controls and good practice in place, there will not be any more problems. Yeah, really a good time for me to move on now.

After lunch we had a brief meeting with the girls, my FD explained the current situation and the new plans for the new setup so they know what to expect in the next coming months. Technically speaking, all will be status-quo until end of the year. By 1st Jan 2008, everyone will be part of the new setup (which is the subsidary of the new parent company). Knowing that the girls are too shy and reserved to ask him any questions, I raised a couple of questions that they might concern and my FD took pains to answer in details, particularly the salary revision part. The good thing about my FD is he is extremely opened about anything and he is not offended by any sensitive questions at all. The girls were happy after meeting but there is still a big question left unanswered, that's why my resignation status.

Should I leave or just stay on, since everything is in good shape now? I see the sincerity of my 3 bosses in asking me to stay, i see the warmth and good working relationship between me and my girls. I was so determined at the beginning but after these 2 days, I started to have second thoughts about moving on. Well, that's suppose to the good points of staying put. But the uncertainty that lies ahead, as much to my bosses' promises and new plans, I still do not have much faith about it, particularly what will happen after 1 Jan 2008. Till now, they are unable to have anything concrete. One of my girls asked a very good question during the meeting, she wondered if they will still report me after 1 Jan 2008, my FD said not sure cos I may be doing something else. This in fact coincide with my biggest concern, why arent they getting an replacement if I'm really gone? Does it mean that my position is of high risk because the new setup will not have rooms of 2 finance heads after the merger is completed? I do not see the point of asking this question cos even my suspicion is true, I'm sure my bosses will give me a political correct answer. Well, the other thing is I dun really like the shipping industry. It's messy cos the way of containers move is indefinitive, thus no matter how good the controls are, should anyone make an error, the finance will have a hard time rectifying it. I'm not saying that the rest of the industries are not messy but the fact that most of the industries have quite a standard way of processes, even when there are errors, it's still easy to trace and solve once you understand the processes well.

My new job offer not only the stability, better pay and benefits, what attracts me most is the ERP system, SAP. I never had a big name under my belt in the resume, this hugh healthcare group will definitely make my resume looks brighter. Most importantly, there's room for my career development, which I'm willing to accept an assistant Finance manager position. Comparably, my existing company do not have such a career path, because the French still would want their own people as the management team. My thought is such that, by taking a small step back now and there's a bigger chance of a leap in the future, so it's still worth taking the small sacrifice now. All I need is to prove myself that's I'm a valued employee of the organisation, right?

I should move on....moving on to greater things in life, even though there are still good things that left behind, but I'm optimistic about what lies ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home