Sunday, January 28, 2007

No Music No Life 01/2007

itunes: 森高千里, Do The Best (1995)

The main reason I seldom listen to the radio is because there is no control over the songs that were played. Radio is for the mass and hence they tend to play songs that are generally liked by the mass, which means pop thrash are most likely to be played. Dun forget commercial radio stations need income for survival, therefore there are recording labels which would buy the airtime to promote their artists' latest releases and blast them repeatedly almost every hour. It's not what the DJ love and play, it's just they are paid to do so.

As a music-nazi, I like to 'dictate' the songs that I would want to listen and getting my 'victims' and force it down into your ears (errr in more friendly terms, sharing with them haha). That's the reason I own an ipod because it does not have a tuner. Why would one need a tuner when there are thousands of songs in it? Nevertheless, I must give credits to radio stations, particularly Gold 90.5, I'm able to know there are so many great artists and songs in the 70s.

The list of CDs that I have bought in January 2007:


Count Basie, Jazz moods - Hot (2004)
This guy is one of the most important bandleadersof the swing era, ie 30's - 50's. Being a jazz fan, I'm truly curious and attracted to the sounds of this era. This is the second artist of this era that I have brought for reference listening after Glenn Miller. Simply raw and enchanting...


Brandy, The Best Of (2005)
I did not own any of her albums but a few of her hit singles. Bought it at a price-down sale at Borders.


The Whispers, Greatest Hits (1997)
A must-have album to complete the legacy of the 70s R&B!!


Nelly Furtado, Folklore (2003)
This is her second album, the one that barely cracked the Billboard Top 40, spawned no hits, and sold about a quarter of what her Grammy-winning debut did. Despite of that, I still love this album more than the debut, guess it's kind of personal here. Her recent 3rd release, Loose was a No.1 album in Billboard but I just dun like it at all. Got this at yahoo auction for $8, cos I refused to pay full price for it hehe.


Sting, Songs From The Labyrinth (2006)
I love Baroque music and always facsinated with Harpsicord. Having a rocker doing a 1600's classical thing is definitely rare, the rock 'noise' of Sting is completely vanished and it really astonished to hear the 'clean' version of his voice. It took me more than month, to sample it at Gramophone or That CD almost every weekends before deciding to buy it. Listening it at night often makes me feel that I'm an English Duke dressed up in Elizabethan costume haha self indulgence right??!!!


Joni Mitchell, Don Juan's Reckless Daughter (1977)
Bought this at a storewide 15% discount at Borders. I'm a Joni Mitchell fan and my aim to do complete the collection of her discography.


Brian Mcknight, Ten (2006)
I always find him the most under-rated R&B male vocalist, a couple of Grammy best male artist norminations but never win any.


Simply Red, Simplified (2005)
I'm not a fan of Simply Red, maybe just like a few of his 90's songs. This album contains a more smooth and strip down rework versions of his old hits, like the title suggests. Beautiful....


Motown, 100 Essential Motown on 5 CDs (2006)
Come on...the renounce Motown label in the 70s!! This label produces sound so instantly identifiable that "Motown" unequivocally became a style unto itself. Big names like Stevie Wonder, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, The Commodores and Michael Jackson starts their career from this place...a must-have boxset collection.


UA & Naruyoshi Kikuchi, Cure Jazz (2006)
UA is called Bjork of Japan and Naruyoshi Kikuchi is a famous Jazz saxaphonist in Japan. A jazz collaboration of 2 extremes.....it's experimental.


The Chinese Orchestra of Shanghai Music Conservatory, Melodies For New Year's Greetings (2004)
Bought this yesterday at People's Park Centre. Chinese New Year is coming and it would be nice to listen to some festive tones to liven up the spirits. Last year, I bought a collection of New Year oldies songs by famous artists in the 30's. This year, I decided to look for a Chinese classical version of these songs. I'm going to rip a few copies for my parents, aunts and uncles. Sure they will love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home