Wednesday, December 27, 2006

No Music No Life 12/2006

itunes: 小泉今日子, オトコのコ オンナのコ (1996)

The list of CDs that I have bought in December 2006:


Vince Guaraldi, A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)
Peanuts creator Charles Schultz called on pianist extraordinaire Vince Guaraldi and his trio to compose and perform music that would reflect the humor, charm, and innocence of Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and the entire Peanuts gang for their 1965 Christmas TV special. A truly great contemporary jazz Christmas album. I love it very much. Initially I bought one from ebay for YL's birthday present, after second thought, I bought another one from ebay for myself. This CD was not released officially in Singapore but I happened to see a few sold at Borders.



今井美樹, Milestone (2006)
At last, the album that I have been waiting for finally arrived from Japan. First pressed limited edition with DVD. Great voice!!



Marvin Gaye, The Very Best Of (1994)
He is a legend who revolutionise black music, redefined soul music. What do u reckon?



Lily Allen, Alright, Still (2006)
I guess Lily Allen is the best debut artist in 2006. A very refreshing britpop, cheeky and amusing that belies the sugarcoated sounds. Not to be missed! You may have heard her over the radio, the first single, "Smile".



Michael Bublé, Self Titled (2CD Edition) (2003)
I'm not really a Buble fan, it's the second disc "Let It Snow!" that impressed me so much that I cant help but to buy this CD as the second disc was not sold separately. Hehe I bought it at half the retail price from Yahoo Auction, still in very good condition even though it is second hand. The song "Grown-up Christmas List" touched me a lot, check out my earlier blog on this song.



Thievery Corporation, The Mirror Conspiracy (2000)
I got this for free from my office Christmas gift exchange. We are suppose to buy a present for a colleague that we have picked without letting the other party know. But I purposely let out some news of my 'wants' through the office grapevine and hey I got what I wanted!! Hehe ohh I'm a big fan of Thievery Corporation and almost finish completing in their discography collection. Yeah their breezy and atmospheric downtempo electronic sound is the best groovy companion in late night.



Martina Topley-Bird, Quixotic (2003)
This CD is definitely hard to come by. I spent lots of time searching for it islandwide. None of the stores carry this except HMV & Borders. HMV sell it at an extremely ridiculous high price (which I'm not willing to pay but evenutally it was sold, damn!) and Borders carry the American pressing which I'm not keen at all. In the end, I got it from ebay!! So happy that it arrives safely from UK today. This solo debut is unique in the sense that it slowly resonant deep into you and it is irresistable. Imagine chillout vibes with patches of soul, blues and rock, the music is beautiful, complex, errie and haunting yet rich and melodic. This piece of work radiants a huge creativity charm in her.


NO MUSIC NO LIFE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home