Monday, December 11, 2006

Christmastime is here...

itunes: The Carpenters, Christmas Portrait (1978)

I'm no Christian and never celebrate religously and I just dunno why December Christmas season just gives me a sense of inner peace, merry and joy. When I was a little boy, I'm truly fascinated by snowman, Santa Claus and his reindeers magic and I just love those Christmas songs, not forgetting the Christmas children story books that I borrowed from the library. Imagine, the snow, the sleigh, the fireplace, tucked in bed early for Santa. That's my childhood dreams!! Well, now I'm still love those Christmas songs and still looking forward to Santa to make my Christmas wishes come true. It's self deceiving but one cant deny the fact that there is a child in everyone's heart, right? I'm still looking forward for a white Christmas holiday in a far far away land, with snow, sleigh ride and a fireplace, and now of cos I hope my dearest one by my side.

Yeah, enough of dreams, I guess Christmas has given me a different meaning now. It's at the end of every year and it's a celebration of all things (particulaly the bad ones) should come to a closure and it's time for me to reflect the things that I have done in the year, plan and looking forward to a better coming year. It's time to feel nostragic on the good old memories. It's a time to show my well wishing to the people closest to my heart. It's time to tell some of them that I have not forgotten about them even though we have not been talking or constantly staying in touch.

The Christmas cards have been sent out this morning, in the midst of Christmas rush. I have never failed doing so since my primary school days. In this electronic era, technological advancement has enriched our life but never enriched our soul. I'm still insisting to send my well-wishes this way, not because I'm a stubborn rock who resists changes, but I think it adds more personal touch when the wishes are sent in my own handwriting. It's as good as telling the receipent that I'm still alive and kicking haha. Sometimes I really wonder how my friends feel about receiving my cards, thankful or touched being remembered or just merely a card? For me, I'm still looking forward to receive a handwritten Christmas card in the mailbox like my younger days, even though it's quite rare nowadays. The joy and bliss of finding a Christmas card in the mailbox, open it up and read the well wishing words, I can never forget that since I received my very first Christmas card in the mailbox many years ago.....

Check out this song, Grown-Up Christmas List by Michael Buble. Love it very much. It relates closely to how I feel about the spirit of Christmas, to spread and share the joy of well wishing all around. I have grown up, but my heart have not lost the ability to dream that I had when I was a boy. Maybe Santa really exists in the South Pole and maybe I can hear his sleigh bells ring this Christmas eve night.....

Do you remember me?
I sat upon your knee
I wrote to you with childhood fantasies
Well, I'm all grown-up now
Can you still help somehow?
I'm not a child, but my heart still can dream

So here's my lifelong wish
My grown-up Christmas list
Not for myself, but for a world in need

No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
Every man would have a friend
That right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown-up Christmas list

What is this illusion called the innocence of youth?
Maybe only in that blind belief can we ever find the truth

No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
Every man would have a friend
That right would always win
And love would never end

This is my grown-up Christmas list
This is my only lifelong wish
This is my grown-up Christmas list

1 Comments:

Blogger One Wheel said...

Michael buble version is not bad but I like natalie cole's version more, duno if u heard before or not, if not i lend you.

17:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home