Saturday, June 17, 2006

You Made Me Sick

itunes: 鬼束ちひろ, The Ultimate Collection (2004)

Sigh, I’m into the second month of my new ‘temporary’ job and pace has been increasing since then. Looks like I’m still coping the workload well, surviving my first month end closing and meet all the deadlines plus answering the queries from the head office in Paris. Given the fact that the recruit section in The Strait Times is getting thinner and thinner every Saturday, my hope of leaving for a better secure job diminished gradually as well. Jobs opportunities on the net are ‘recycled’, so it’s either a ploy by the job agencies to attract good resumes or must be a shitty job.

2 weeks ago, I had an interview with a US MNC in the healthcare industry at Science Park. Other than the distance, I guess the job is quite interesting enough to uplift my miserable feeling towards my current job as if there’s a ray of light from the sky shine down on me. I almost floated in the air when the HR called me 10 minutes after I left the office, asking me to rush down to Alexandra area to meet the VP of the division for a second interview. Things are so bright looking until I met up the VP. He was kind enough to let me know of his expectations on this role but it was SO different from what the FD said of her expectations in the first interview, from the format of PL statement, choice of accounting system, line of reporting, where the role should be based and even the job scope! To make things worse, the VP began to describe the nature of his business in which he somehow mentioned in the heart of the dense forest in Bintan Island in Indonesia, there sits a complex whereby primates are captured from the wild and breed there, ship to Singapore (with the assistance of the damn AVA, bypassed Singapore customs) and use them for testing of new drugs. He even joked that the complex is so deep within the vegetation that I would not be able to locate it.

Gosh, this strikes me real hard and reminds me instantly of a movie called The Island in which human beings are cloned and their organs are harvested for their identical sick masters for transplant. The VP also mentioned that they used to have a similar setup in US but because there are many animal rights activists protesting outside their compound everyday, they have no choice but to sell the setup away. Deep inside my heart, I was thinking, you bloody first world companies who uphold social and environment responsibilities openly in your own countries and yet move such disgusting function to the third world country where animal rights is disregarded totally. This is so evil!!

I was so disturbed for the next 2 days whenever I thought of this. This is real sick. Eventually, the job offer came, and I rejected it despite the fact the HR manager tried very hard to explain the discrepancies between the FD and VP and reassured me that they do not do as many primates testing here in Singapore (oh come on, do not do as many primates means still considered guilty). I told her since this job requires to perform costing on each laboratory test done, I do not wish to see the price of 1 monkey or orang utan in the list of material costs.

I may not be an animal rights activist but I have due respect for every living beings on this earth. This job definitely will bring me good money and good career prospects but to think of having these at the expense of those poor primates, I would rather hang on to this current shitty job.

Anyway, this leads me to one burning question: I believe most cosmetic companies conduct animal testing on the development of new products. How do we know, for those who advocate against animal testing on their products and yet in fact purchase the test results from the outsourced laboratory testing (like the one I went) which actually do the actual killing? If you know the answer, write to me please. Peace on earth....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home