Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Ennis and Jack

itunes: Mary J Blige, The Breakthrough (2005)

Still on Brokeback Mountain
My favourite scenes :
1) I do not know how to discuss on this scene, read the dialogue below and you will know why.

Ennis: I'm gonna tell you this one time, Jack fuckin' Twist, an' I ain't foolin'. What I don't know all them things I don't know - could get you killed if I come to know them. I mean it.
Jack: Yeah well try this one, and I'll say it just once!
Ennis: Go ahead!
Jack: Tell you what, we coulda had a good life together! Fuckin' real good life! Had us a place of our own. But you didn't want it, Ennis! So what we got now is Brokeback Mountain! Everything's built on that! That's all we got, boy, fuckin' all. So I hope you know that, even if you don't never know the rest! You count the damn few times we have been together in nearly twenty years and you measure the short fucking leash you keep me on - and then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get. You have no idea how bad it gets! I'm not you... I can't make it on a coupla high-altitude fucks once or twice a year! You are too much for me Ennis, you sonofawhoreson bitch! I wish I knew how to quit you.
Ennis: [crying] Well, why don't you? Why don't you just let me be? It's because of you that I'm like this! I ain't got nothing... I ain't nowhere... Get the fuck off me! I can't stand being like this no more, Jack.

2) When Ennis visited Jack's parents after Jack's death, requesting for his ashes to be spread over Brokeback Mountain (Jack's last wish). The moment Ennis came down from Jack's bedroom, Jack's mum instanteously get hold a paper bag for Ennis to keep 'his long lost shirt' that Jack has 'stolen' from him the first time they departed from Brokeback. And she even asked Ennis to visit them again. This shows a mum's acceptance of who the son was, out of the love for him. Unfortunately, not from Jack's dad, who did not make a stand of his viewpoint until the moment Ennis stepped out of their house. Jack's father commented that they have their own plot of family burial land and he does not think the necessity of spreading Jack's ashes over Brokeback. Nevertheless, this reminds me of Ang Lee's earlier works "The Wedding Banquet".


3) The final scene, which moved me to tears. Ennis was buttoning up 'the shirt that Jack stole from him' which was hung on the cupboard door and a postcard of Brokeback was pinned at its side. His eyes teared and he muttered...."Jack, I swear....” This may sound old fashioned, but the bottom-line is that one ought to be courageous in searching one's happiness and most importantly, treasure what you have in hand before they slip away like sand.

My favourite quotes:
Joe: You boys sure found a way to make the time pass up there. Twist, you guys wasn't gettin' paid to leave the dogs babysittin' the sheep while you stem the rose.

Jack: Tell you what. The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.
Ennis: If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it.

Ennis: I figure we got a one-shot deal going on here. Jack: It's nobody's business but ours. Ennis: You know I ain't queer. Jack: Neither am I.

Ennis: Bottom line is... we're around each other an'... this thing, it grabs hold of us again... at the wrong place... at the wrong time... and we're dead.

[L.D. Newsome goes to turn the television back on]
Jack: You sit down, you old son of a bitch!
[L.D. stops in his tracks]
Jack: This is my house! This is my child! And you are my guest! So sit the hell down or I'll knock your ignorant ass into next week!

For more quotes,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home