Sunday, April 09, 2006

Dilbert's pointed hairdo boss Part 2

While we were at the Ho Chih Minh City airport coming home, he was boasting about his flying experience and he told me that we must pay for airport tax before checking in. I told him that we can check in first and pay later. Nevertheless, he asked me to queue for the check-in and he will go and pay for airport tax first. Guess what? he came back buying only his portion!!!! And he had the cheek to tell me now he had shown me how to get all these things done, so the next time when we go Suzhou airport (the company has a Suzhou plant in China) i will know what to do and do everything for him. I was so mad and told him there wasn't any airport in Suzhou and we have to fly to Shanghai. Well, he did not believe me at all. Well looks like he really have to go Suzhou personally to know that there is no airport there. Bloody hell, if I dun even serve my Finance Director of my ex-company this way, he thought he will have these privileges? Bring his fat hopes to hell. The plane was late because of the route is such that it flew from Hanoi, via Ho Chih Minh then to Singapore. I explained this to him that it was late because there maybe held up in Hanoi and again he did not believe me. He noticed that the plane is not even at the aerobridge and he believed that such a route was impossible because the airline would not want to waste time stopping and refuelling at Ho Chih Minh. Oh gosh, is he a country pumpkin or wat? The earth already had planes which can fly non-stop for 21 hours. Anyway I dun even want to waste my breath explaining this to him. Then I told him we are taking Vietnam Air not big airlines like Singapore Airlines or Cathay Pacific, the pathetic airport had only 2 aerobridges which serve the bigger airlines. We had to take bus to the plane. Well he chose not to believe me. He kept complaining to me like a bee buzzing. I ignored him totally and continue my reading.

While we were in Vietnam plant, he said that I should be looking into internal controls. And I immediately raised a point that I observed during plant tour. It seems that staff can come in and out freely of the main store and this was definitely a control issue. He said that THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM AT ALL. I stared at him with astonishment. He explained that he noticed that whoever came into the plant, the guards will make it a point to check if the person is our workers. I continued to stare at him with astonishment. He shameless continued and said that in addition to that, he had not been able to observe if the guard checks the workers' bag whenever they stepped out of the plant. Trust me, I felt like stabbing myself at the spot. I was thinking, if i stationed a security guard by the lift and stairs on the groundfloor of my flat, does it mean that I dun have to lock my house???

My first day of work, ASH asked me to work on a revised budget on Vietnam plant. Of cos in order to work on the revised budget, I need to know the original budget. Trust me, they have a total of 10 versions and no one in the Finance department can tell me which was the one that had been approved by US. I kicked up a big fuss and eventually ASH suggested to use the 10th version and I can verify with the Vietnam Finance Manager once we were there. Unfortunately, when I flew to Vietnam, the General Manager and Finance Manager gave me their own versions and insisted that their version was the correct one. So, by then I had 12 different versions to decide which one to use. Well, thank god, ASH decided to stay on with the 10th version and the saga is over. On the next day, there was a request from US asking for the Q3 and Q4 projections for Vietnam and I only had 24 hours to work on it. So i asked the ASH which one should I use again. He said that I can simply pick some numbers from the 10th version, if not from the 5 years forecast he had done. He demanded that I had to split the Q3 and Q4 forecast by months and this suppose to be easy. Trust me, this is one of wonders of the world, the so called budgets and 5 years forecast that this company had, the numbers are done by years. How am I going to do Q3 and Q4 forecast by month when I only have yearly numbers?Divide by 12 and multiply by 3 or divide by 4 instead? HAHAHA Furthermore, I was new to the company that I know nuts about the operation, how am I going to do the projection. I simply dun understand why he was not asking the local Finance Manager to do it. Before I can start working on it, he suggested that I should re-work the fixed asset register of the plant in a different format (from the original) because he did not trust the local Finance Manager's work and he wanted a correct depreciation numbers for the forecast. I told him point blank that I do not have enough time to finish the projections as re-work on the register was a massive excerise. Well, too bad, he insisted and so I just did it. By 2pm, he came to me and asked me if I had finished. Frustrated, I told him i can never finish. This was when he told me that he DOES NOT REQUIRE the register anymore and wanted me to start working on the projections instead. Bad news, he told me that the CEO in Singapore will leave the office at 5pm and he wanted to see the numbers before he left the office. I asked him how am I going to finish in 3 hours' time? He said just dump numbers into it but he wanted me to produce supporting calculations to substantiate my numbers dumping. Hello, think about this, how can one able to produce supportings when the numbers were plucking from the thin air? I ignored him and finished at 8pm. He gave me a black face and said that the longer i drag my work, the lesser he has time to review. He did not even look at my numbers and he sent to the CEO. HAHAHAHA deep inside my heart, I was planning a revenge. On the way back to hotel, he asked me if I'm sleeping early that night and I asked why. He said that he may need me to answer some questions should the CEO asked after seeing the numbers. True enough I anticipated of this move so earlier on, I decided while packing my things up, I purposely not taking my work files with me back to hotel. HAHAHA well it felt so nice to see him upset after I broke the sad news to him. I waited his call until 11pm and I slept. The next morning, he was saying happily that the CEO was very happy with the numbers. The numbers were done by me, not him and he claimed the credit. Fucker!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home