Sunday, April 09, 2006

Dilbert's pointed hairdo boss Part 1

itunes: 玉置浩二, 今日というこの日を生きていこう (2005)

Yes, this is the reason why I started this blog.
Yes, I'm sitting at home, without a job for nearly two months now.

I quitted on my new job after a week plus and I knew I'm not acting on impulse. Simply, I just cant make myself to work for this kind of person. I shall him ASH (asshole) for simplity and for the fact that he is as useless as ASH.

ASH and I flew to Ho Chih Minh City, Vietnam on my second day of work to have a more understanding on the Vietnam plant operation. We had a meeting with the tax agent from KPMG and the topic of VAT comes into the discussion. ASH confidently said that Singapore GST (or VAT) is at 3% and I was in a shock of my life, he is a Financial Controller of an US MNC and he does not know how much is Singapore GST??!!! To make things worse, the local Vietnamese guy commented that when he was on a vacation in Singapore couple of years ago and it was already at 4%. Gosh, I was so embarrassed and I make sure that everyone in the meeting knew that Singapore GST is at 5%. To reassure that I'm not biased against him, the moment i step into my house from the airport, I asked my mum if she knows. She can tell me it's 5%. This is really soooo shameful of him.

We also went to see an officer from the UOB Vietnam and realised that he was a Singaporean too. He commented that Singapore used to be the No.1 investor in Vietnam but recently has slipped to No.2 position. Guess what 'smart' reply from ASH? He asked the bank officer, if Singapore is the No.1 investor in Vietnam, how come he did not see that there are many Singapore companies in Vietnam? Gosh, I really want to dig a hole and hide in there. Come on, No.1 investor referred to the amount of investments, not by the number of companies presence. The bank officer was stunned and replied diplomatically by saying that Singapore companies usually invested in areas like properties and not in manufacturing, that's the reason why he did not see many Singapore manufacturing plants in Vietnam. Again, to make things worse, this 'smart' ASH asked the officer why our Vietnam subsidiary chose UOB as the banker instead of DBS since DBS is our banker in Singapore. He continued by saying he knew very well that DBS had no presence in Vietnam and DBS was opening the first branch in Vietnam soon. Isn't it obvious to conclude he is not brightest bulb in the room? Being diplomatic, the bank officer said that among all the Singapore banks, UOB was the only one that can be found in Ho Chih Minh City as the other Singapore bank OCBC's has a branch in Hanoi and DBS was not even in Vietnam yet. Argggghhhhhhhh.......

We visited HSBC Vietnam near lunch time and he raised a couple of concerns on the investment issue. The HSBC was helpful and they roped in a couple of staff to help in answering the questions and the meeting stretched over lunch time. When the meeting is coming to near end, he turned and asked me if I have any question for HSBC and I raised 1 big question on the issue and HSBC staff were going in and out of the meeting room to find answers. Guess what he did? He closed the meeting abruptly and of cos HSBC staff is happy. I find it a bit strange of why he did that. Fortunately, I found out the answer later. He was telling me that his stomach is rumbling with hunger during the meeting, so he decided to end the meeting fast so that we can go for lunch. I was so angry that I told him off by saying since we have meeting near lunch time, he should have taken a heavier breakfast. This is utterly unprofessional of him. Tsk tsk.

Worst of all, during lunch, he told me that he will groom me to be a manager. HAHAHA Groom me? This is the first time that I heard words that made me feel like puking and that meal is going to be the No.1 worst meal of my life. Perhaps he should go and learn to be a little brighter before coming to groom me. What if my intelligence went down to his brain level? No thanks, really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home